Everyone needs STUFF when they travel. How and what you pack will be up to your style, needs and budget. I have seen it done for much less money and obviously for MUCH more money. I tried to find a good middle ground that works for me. Some things were a bit pricey but remember, I started accumulating things slowly over 2 YEARS ago. Also since this stuff will be my home for the next however long and I have to PEDAL it around the world on a bicycle, I tried to do a lot of research to find lightweight AND quality that will last.
Heather & Gear : 252 lbs.
Rider: 179 lbs. (shhh… I’m workin’ on it!) Gear: 42 lbs. Bike & Rack: 41 lbs.
Getting Us and the Gear Around
- Bike: Novara Randonee: Faster than walking, free exercise, free transportation (Patty and I have the same bike so we don’t have to carry different types of spare parts/tools)
- Abus Bordo Folding Bike Lock: Apparently very good but pricey, I bought mine used from a bike rental place in Canada for $40 🙂
- Giro Helmet
- Ortlieb Front-Roller Panniers
- Ortlieb Back-Roller Panniers
- Ortlieb Ultimate6 Compact Handlebar Bag
- Bungee Cords:
- BICYCLE REPAIR KIT: tire levers, patch kit, bike multi-tool, spare tubes, extra chain, adjustable wrench, pliers, pedal wrench, spare brake pads, chain breaker, spoke wrench, chain lube, wrench, Leatherman multi tool, allen wrench, spare: screws, nuts & bolts, duct tape, zip ties, spare spokes, tire pump
- CatEye Strada Wireless Bike Computer: For tracking speed and distance but I have no idea how to work it! 🙂
- REI Dash 2 Tent (Heather’s): Says it’s made for two but not if you want to be friends in the morning! I love my daughter but she needs her OWN room
- Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 (Patty’s): Untested as of yet!
- Ultralight REI Flash Sleeping Bags: This bag is SUPER warm and comfy
- Sleeping Bag Liner: adds another layer of warmth as well as keeps the sleeping bag clean
- Pillow: LOVE this little thing, best travel pillow EVER
Creating & bothering folks back home
- Surface Pro 3: Second hand, not to sure about this item… heavy but we’ll see
- SPOT Tracker: this will ping our location twice/day so my Daddy will always know where we are. ❤
- GoPro Hero 3 Silver: Rescued from the yard sale/stole from Patty who didn’t want it
- Older Nook Glowlight Reader: No bells or whistles BUT the battery lasts almost a MONTH!
- Mavic Pro Drone: Still learning how it fly it so as long as it survives the learning stage, I’ll be bringing it along as well
- Sony a6300 Camera
- JOBY GorillaPod: Tripod
- SanDisk Sansa MP3 player: inexpensive and very low on the technology scale but like the Nook, the battery lasts quite a while. Good for music and audio books to pass hours on the road.
- Goal Zero Venture 30 Solar Charger
- Travel Adapter (150 countries)
- Phones: Samsung Note 3 & Patty’s IPhone something or other 🙂
- Clothes; this seems like a ridiculous amount of clothing to me, ESPECIALLY since I bought them 6 months or more ago and I have been sitting around the house waiting to go and gaining weight… they are all very tight 😦 good thing cycling is excellent exercise!
- on-bike clothes (3 tops/bottoms)
- pants (2)
- shorts (2)
- swim suit (1)
- undies (7)
- sports bra (1)
- socks (3)
- short sleeve shirts (3)
- tank tops/pajamas (3)
- clip shoes for bike
- tennis shoes
- flip flops
- bandanas for sweaty work
- sun sleeves
- Important Documents/Money: passports, immunization records, bank cards, emergency cash
- Travel Towel
- Travel First Aid Kit
- Scrubba Wash Bag: THIS little thing is so cool! You can wash two shirts, a pair of shorts and undies quick and easy. Also doubles as a dry bag.
- Lightweight Clothesline
To start this journey, we have decided NOT to bring cooking gear. Food in Mexico can be found pretty cheap and isn’t that the point of traveling to different countries? We will pack a little food on the bike that does not require cooking, as a back up but rely on markets, restaurants and STREET TACOS! We’ll see how it works and maybe add a stove later and all the crap that comes with it later.
- Plate and Spork Set
- Sawyer Water Filtration System
- Water Purification Tablets
- Fire Steel
- Water Bottles & Cages
- Collapsible Water Container
DISCLAIMER: Some of the links above will take you to Amazon for a description and detail of the product. If you buy something through that link I think I get about .32 cents (kidding, not really sure cuz I'm new to affiliate programs). I will only link to something I have actually owned, used and liked.